Friday, October 31, 2008

Costumes On - Check, Check

Mac has chosen what he wants to be for Halloween since he was old enough to have an opinion. I have tried to remember what he has been (Lion, Cowboy, Pirate, Zorro, Contractor, another Cowboy, a Hunter). I just remembered Zorro this evening when we were trick or treating. This year, he is at a Crossroads in his life where part of him is still very much a kid, but he is also a teenager-so he wasn't sure if it would be "cool" for him to trick or treat with us. I told him he could be Indiana Jones-and it didn't take much to convince him of that. The leather jacket is Lee's-that he got on his mission in Korea.
Mason also choose what he wanted to be.......a vampire. I have NO idea where he got hat idea-seriously. I am probably one of the only people on the face of the Earth who hasn't read the Twilight series. Every Halloween I always remember Mason's first Halloween. He was 10 months old, and I found Mac's Lion costume, so he wore that. I decided that year to shop for Mac's costume early, when Mason was 9 months old. I was still able to put him in a Baby Bjorn carrier, and he still had to be on oxygen. We went to the Costume Display Store in Everett-and it was loud, alot of lights, and alot of stuff going on. Mason was forward facing, so I couldn't see him. He suddenly got "heavy" like he was asleep, but I thought "there is NO way this baby is asleep". I asked Mac if his brother was asleep and he said yes. I couldn't believe it! I later discovered that his coping mechanism for dealing with stressful situations, is falling asleep.
Back to tonight. We trick or treated our neighborhood, then went to another neighborhood a few blocks down. Mason was getting tired after only 40 minutes of trick or treating. He does this every year. This year, we were able to trick or treat Papa and Nana Dawson's house. They live almost 20 minutes away from us, so that was cool that we got to see them.

1 comment: