Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkins Carved, Check

This week has been busy with Football, Parent/Teacher Confrences, 1/2 days for Mac, No school for Mason, and who knows what else. Carving Pumpkins has always been one of Lee's jobs to do with the kids, but he's been really busy this last month. I really don't like to carve pumpkins, it's gross, and it's messy. But, we managed to do this last night-and we were almost done when the Dad walked through the door.
Mason wanted to make sure we had the "Big" bowl for doing this. Other tools we use: an ice cream scoop for scooping out the "guts", and 2 knives-one of which is one of those $2.00 pumpkin carving knife, that actually, works pretty well. For this picture, he had his hands out like one of the girls on The Price is Right-a show that he has NEVER seen before. I told him to put his hands away.

Mac actually did his all by himself, without any help from me. I was in fear that he was going to slice his hand open, or cut one of his fingers off..but he did his whole pumpkin without any help from me. (Pardon the mess in the background. Mason cleaned off the table, quickly after dinner-and some of it is also Lee's mess, but that is for another post at another time).

Mason on the other hand, needed all sorts of help of course. He so wanted to to everything himself too, so I let him scoop out the guts with his hands. He was elbow deep in pumpkin guts. He wanted to separate the seeds so we can "Clean them, Roast them, and Eat them". This was a little song he learned in kindergarten last week. He was singing it for at least 20 minutes.

Mac decided to "free carve" his pumpkin without a design or a plan. It turned out pretty well all things considering. Mason wanted an "angry" face on his. I went upstairs to talk to Lee for a few minutes, and Mason said "Mackie is carving my pumpkin now Mom, so we don't need you". Stab me in the heart. Lee told me to just let them do it, and I went down and it was almost done. Mac did everything that Mason wanted him to do with his pumpkin too. It looked pretty good as well.

The finished products. BOO! Mac's is on the right and Masons is on the left. I carved my pumpkin (with help from Mason). I was too tired to be creative, so I just cut out some geometric shapes. It wasn't worth taking a pic and posting. Happy Halloween!





1 comment:

Jessica Chalmers said...

Cute! We don't carve pumpkins here because they would rot in a few days! They look great.