Friday, October 24, 2008

Honey Pumpkin Pie


Lee's favorite pie, is Pumpkin. But not just any Pumpkin Pie, Honey Pumpkin Pie. I have used this recipe for over 10 years. Everytime I try out a new Pumpkin Pie recipe, he knows once it touches his tongue that it's not the Honey one. The original recipe came from a cookbook my Mom has had for years and years, that is now out of print. It's a Better Homes and Gardens Step by Step cookbook, and she actually gave me the book so I could cook, bake and become a better wife, to my poor husband who was eating frozen dinners. Here is the recipe, with my modifications. It's a combination of the Better Homes and Gardens recipe and the Libbys Pumpkin Pie recipe. This makes 2 - 9 inch pies, but you could cut everything in half to make one.
1 29 oz can of Pumpkin (I use Libbys, it's better, and there is a difference)
1 1/3 Cups of Honey (3/4 cup if you are making 1 pie)
2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves
6 eggs
2- 12 oz cans evaporated milk
Single pie crust for 2 - 9 inch pies (I use the roll out pie crusts)
In a large mixing bowl, stir together pumpkin, honey, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add eggs. Beat eggs into pumpkin mixture with a fork. Stir in evaporated milk, mix well. Fill pie crust shells, dividing mixture between the two pie shells. Bake at 375 degrees for 55-60 minutes or till the pie is set.

2 comments:

Jessica Chalmers said...

yum,
I remember making this recipe at your house when you guys lived in Ferndale!

Unknown said...

That sounds really good!! Have you ever tried substituting the evaporated milk for egg nog? It's really quite good. :)

And I can't believe how big your boys are!! I didn't think it had been that long since I last saw them.