Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Countdown to Thanksgiving-Sweet Potatoes

Well, I just made my menu and shopping list this morning (at 6:00am). I feel like I am leaving something out, so I'll have to check with Lee to make sure. I love Sweet Potatoes. I especially love them with Brown Sugar and Cinamon. The little marshmellows, I can take it or leave it. A friend of mine came over for Thanksgiving 3 years ago, and she brought Sweet Potatoes, and she steamed them. I admit, I just opened a can and cooked them a bit, mashed them, added my other ingredients, and then served them. Fresh Sweet Potatoes are so, so much better than canned, and with not much effort. I was suprised.


1 1/2 lbs Sweet Potatoes
Brown Sugar
Butter
Cinamon
Salt and Pepper to taste
little marshmellows-if you want

Steam Sweet Poatoes whole and unpeeled for 30-40 minutes. Be careful not to over steam them, unless you want them mashed. Let them COOL. Peel them and leave them "whole" as much as you can. After you peel them, slice them and arrange in a baking dish. Put spices on them. Melt butter with Brown Sugar and drizzle on Sweet Potatoes.


Hope's Notes:
I have only made these twice. The first time, I over steamed them, and they were way soft, and took zero effort to mash them, put on little marshmellows, and bake them for however long it took for the marshmellows to get golden brown. I liked them sliced. I do this the day before, bake them to "heat" them. I throw them in the oven until they are warm on the inside, which is like 10-15 minutes. You will have to poke them with a knife or something to make sure. Sorry for the vague instructions. It's just really simple.

No comments: