Friday, April 10, 2009

Mac's Science Project

Yes, the teenager is going to kill me for blogging this, especially this picture. He was being sarcastic, and he got caught! He never smiles like this. Mac had to do a Science Project. He had to actually do something over a period of time. He really wanted to do something he saw on Mythbusters, but only on a much, much, much, smaller scale. On Mythbusters, they had 4-5 different small greenhouses, and they grew plants and flowers in different types of environments. The environments were talking, rock music, yelling, classical music, and I believe nothing at all. So Mac choose to grow these plants from a seed and he grew them. 1 plant was exposed to rock music, another plant-some other type of music, and the 3rd plant he did nothing with (silence). Mac had to keep track of the plants growth by measuring them with a ruler, and I took pictures of them, each week.

He wrote his measurements down, he kept notes, and then when we had to put the Project together, he made a graph of the progress of the growth. The graph was the only thing he was really excited about doing. I made him write everything down (Hypothesis, Outcome, etc). I also made him type it all. It was so painful for me (the fastest typist) to watch my son, try to type all of this. I had to leave the house. So Mason and I did. 1 hour later (or so) he was done.
I'm really proud of Mac, because he did all of this with very, very little assistance from me. I "blew up" the titles for him. He cut everything out and mounted them on the black paper. He glued everything down with glue or Rubber Cement-I found it at a craft store and he had never used it before. They use glue sticks. Anyways. I think he got an "A"-we are waiting to see. He showed it at the Science Fair with the whole 7th Grade. It was interesting to see all of the different types of projects.

No comments: