Friday, June 18, 2010

The Zoo

A couple days ago, the 1st Graders get to go to Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. It's their annual, end of the year field trip. The weather had been rainy several days before the trip, and the forecast predicted for Seattle on this particular day had a raincloud w/rain and then the sun. What??!! Thankfully....it was wet, and didn't rain much. We had a pretty good day. A couple days before, I can fell on my bare toe, so I couldn't wear shoes, I wore my Tevas. Oh, and I had a Charlie Horse in my calf the night before, so my shin, on the same side of my bad toe, was really sore. I thought I would mention this because.........

These are Mason's good friends (Mason is in the middle). These 3 decided to RUN from animal to animal, exhibit to exhibit. They RAN all DAY! I wish I was exaggerating a bit, but I'm not. I was paired up with another Mom, who was also, a 1st Grade Teacher at Mason's School. She said it first. We were saying "Stop! Slow Down! Wait for us! Don't run to far ahead of us!"

The cool thing about getting to the Zoo in the morning, the animals are OUT! They aren't in their caves or homes. So we got to see the animals fairly up close. Like this elephant. I didn't have to zoom my camera in too far.

A few days before the trip, the kids all colored animal bingo cards. They had stickers, so when they saw the animal on their card, they covered the animal. They all had different cards. They had more than 1/2 of their cards full before we had lunch. And they got "blackout" on their cards way before the day was through.

The last few times we have been to the Zoo, we haven't seen the giraffes. We saw this baby one. He was so cute!

I have always loved Flamingos. The boys were unimpressed with the pink birds, but they were on Mason's bingo card, so he marked it off and we moved on 20 seconds later.

We had to take pictures on EVERY SINGLE animal sculpture. 3 monkeys climbing on the Monkey sculpture. Ha! Ha!

Mason loved this boat. We had a good time. We covered the whole Zoo in about 2 1/2 hours because of their running through it. I'm glad the weather cooperated a little bit. He had a blast and that's all that matters.

No comments: