Sunday, August 23, 2009

Scout Camp

The first week of August, Mac went to Scout Camp. Last year, he went to Camp Grizzly in Idaho. This year, he went to Black Mountain....where Lee used to go when he was a Boy Scout (100 years ago...in a galaxy far, far away). Preparing Mac for Scout Camp is a challenge. I am forever and eternally GRATEFUL that his Scout Master makes a list of everything he needs for Camp. Last year, the list was longer and we had to buy alot of stuff. This year, not so much-but he still had alot of stuff.

Part of preparing Mac this year was his Swimming. He hasn't been the strongest swimmer. He had been to Swimming Lessons off and on in his life. He hasn't been exposed to swimming like I had been when I was growing up. In Yakima, when it's in the late 80's to low 100's for most of the summer, we went swimming-it's just the way it was and still is. So, I had to take Mac to the High School to teach him some swimming strokes, diving, and just to stay afloat in the deep end. I didn't go into the pool-I managed to teach him from the side of the pool, and it worked. Mac passed his BSA Swimming test and earned his Swimming Merit Badge. The first thing he told me when I picked him up was "Mom! I passed my Swimming Stuff and earned my Swimming Merit Badge!" I was so HAPPY!!
He also earned 3 other Merit Badges at Camp. And managed to have a little fun Mountain Biking and doing a few other activities. He had a blast there...and it wasn't so hot like it was last year in Idaho.
I'm so proud of him and I'm so happy he loves Scouts. Now, we need to work on his packing...he feels the need to bring the "kitchen sink" with him when he goes. P.S. Mason missed him every stinking day he was gone. Asked me when he was coming back, all 7 days.


No comments: