Wednesday, July 15, 2009

4th of July 2009 (kinda late)

This year, we went to Lee's parents house for the 4th of July. It had been a pretty long time since we had celebrated the 4th with them. They live about 2 hours north of us, almost on the Canadian border. We used to live about 1 mile down the road from them for about 4 years, and when we moved to S. Whidbey, we ususally stayed home to celebrate. This year, we camped out (they live on 5 acres) and Lee thought it would be fun to "camp", which it was. The 4th of July with The Bryant's is usually packed full of Fireworks, Food, Motorcycles, and Flag Cake. It get's pretty loud. We were really blessed with awesome weather this year too! The 4th of July in Western Washington is usually cloudy with a big chance of rain....but not this year.

This is our niece Blaise. She lives in Alaska now, and she usually comes down to spend about a month or so with the Grandparents. Years ago...Patty would make a Flag Cake decorated with blueberries and raspberries (or strawberries). I baked the cake this year, and Blaise helped decorate it.
She had fun (I think) and did an awesome job! I did the frosting part, she did the berries.

Because there were so many people there, I did a 2 layer Flag Cake, something that had never been done before, and something we won't do again...it was just too much cake. But it was really yummy (if I don't say so myself). With this particular cake, simple is better tasting. I made it with a White Cake mix, I did Vanilla one year, and it tasted bad. The frosting is the Wilton White Buttercream Icing-you can get the recipe off thier website, I can't "link" things yet.

Mason and Uncle Wes, blowing stuff up in the morning. This was a big white bucket (5 gallons I think)-it's what paint comes in (when you buy alot of paint). Mason was sssoooooo proud! He made me go and get my camera.

The dirtiest feet in the world....belonging to Mason. His feet were dirty, not tan. And the bottom of his feet were BLACK. I'm not kidding.

Mason with is "tank" fireworks. This is all he wanted, were these tanks. I have alot of pics of Mason, because Mac was on one of 2 motorcycles almost the whole time we were there. 1/2 of Lee's body on the far left hand side, sitting, wearing his KILT. That is a post all on it's own. He's been wearing Utilikilts for 5 years now. Apparently, it's not a phase with him, like I've been telling myself for the last 5 years.

Mason, on his motorcycle....just sitting on it. Lee found some training wheels (yes, really) for motorcycles. He's still kind of affraid of his motorcycle. As he tells me "Mom! It makes my heart affraid!". This is a prime example of how 2 kids from the same parents can be so different. Mac, at the age of 4, wanted to ride motorcycles. When he was 5, we were at Cycle Barn, where he found a Quad Runner, and he came running from who knows where hollering "Mom! Mom! I found a motorcycle that fits me! And the guy says he can finance you!". Yes, Mac said that, at the age of 5. Having no idea what "financing" was.

There he is! Mac, with Uncle Calvin, sitting around the day after. Mac lit fireworks this year, he thought he was pretty "big stuff". We were all tired the day after. I had to take a nap before I drove home.

Mason, with Wes. They were pretty tired too. This particuar weekend was the first time Mason got to really run around, and get dirty, and tired at Grammy and Pa's house. We all had fun. Thanks for having us!








No comments: