Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Honor Roll & Doctor Appointment

Last Thursday-February 12th, was a very busy day. The week before, I had received an invitation from Mac's School to attend an Assembly on Feb 12th in the morning sometime. I was going back and forth thinking to myself "Should I go? I have so much to do that day, well, we will see". I dropped Mac off to School in the Morning and he asked if I was coming to the Assembly-I blurted out "Yes"-and found myself going. Mason and Mac both had some immunizations the day before. Mason was a major crank, his arm hurt, etc. I took Mason to School and then went to Mac's for the Assembly. I was sooo glad I went. I was sitting in the Parents section, the Principal announced, "This is a list of students who made it on our Honor Roll for Fall Quarter". So, I had my camera out thinking, "Maybe Mac will be honored for something". I never in a million years thought it would be for the Honor Roll. He got really good grades Fall Quarter, despite being in Football (practices were 3 days a week for 2 hours a day). Mac has had Learning Disabilities, something he inherited from yours truly. I NEVER made it on the Honor Roll. Mac had struggled with reading in Elementary School, struggled with Writing, really struggled with Math. He loved Science, and always managed to keep up with his peers and do all of the work without making concessions for his IEP (Individual Education Plan). I saw his name on the screen, took a picture of it, looked at Mac (he was standing up from the crowd of 400 kids) and I started to tear up. I thought crying would be so uncool, so I held it together.
I am so stinking proud of this kid! So is Lee, we are both so, so proud of him. Not only academically, but, because he is a good kid, and not because we think so, but because other people tell us this. So, it must be true. Good Job Mac!! Oh, and I have started making him cook with me a little.
My other reason why this day was busy....Mason had a Check Up with his Surgeon from Childrens. We hadn't seen him since he had his Tummy Tube removed 3 years ago. He has had the same Surgeon since he was born. His name is Dr. Ledbetter, and he is the best. Mason wasn't old enough to remember the "routine" that we go through when we have a Clinic Visit. He get's weighed-on the cool scale that is built into the floor (and he kept jumping up and down on the scale). He was measured for height. We go into the examination room, I was asked a bunch of questions, and then we wait........wait & wait & wait. Mason choose not to bring any toys, etc. So he got bored. "How long do we have to wait for my Doctor? When is he comin anyways?" those were just some of the questions Mason asked. I laughed at him, because when he was a baby, we had to wait for what seemed like an eternity. So in comes his Doctor. "Where is Mason Bryant? I don't seem to see him anywhere. Where could he be?" Mason looked at him like he was nuts and responded "Well, I'm right HERE!" His doctor told him it couldn't be because he was so big. He asked Mason to see his Tummy and he flipped his shirt up and then down quickly. I told him to take off his shirt, and he told the Dr. Ledbetter "Well, I have alot of lines on my body". His Doc then responded "Well, I'm the guy who made ALL of those lines on your body". Mason's mouth opened up. This was the first appointment that Mason really got to interact with him. It was really cool to see.

This is a picture of Mason with Dr. Ledbetter when Mason just turned 1. This was not the last time we saw him-and I forgot to take a picture of them last week. His doctor still looks the same. A very nice man. We will go and see his surgeon in another year. He likes to keep his eye on him, and his appointment went really well. He is keeping his eye on possible Scoliosis. This is something that could happen to him, as his left lung grows and fills into his chest cavity. His lung will grow until he is 8 or 9. He didn't see any signs, yet...But it could happen.

When we were walking out, Mason had to have his picture taken with Mickey Mouse, of course. We also stopped by the IICU (Infants Intensive Care Unit) to see of some of his nurses were there, and they weren't. They all had the day off. Mason also has a Pulmonary Doctors appointment in April, he will also see his Dietitian at the same time.

The weekend was Valentines Day, which we celebrated on Sunday. I made Steak, Baked Potatoes and I made these Chocolate Covered Strawberries. They were really yummy! I have gotten behind on my blogging...there just isn't much to say-but when there is, it's alot of stuff at once. I'll try to be better about it.





No comments: