Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Farm

Over Labor Day weekend, the boys and I went to Yakima for the extended weekend. I helped my sis-in-law Andrea can peaches, and we stayed with my brother Sam and his family at the Farm. The farm that they live on used to belong to my Great-grandparents. Sam is the 4th generation to live there, which is pretty cool. My Grandma and Grandpa Bocz (pronounced bows) are my Mom's parents and lived about 30-40 minutes away from us growing up. My brother Sam spent darn near every Friday night over there and all day Saturday. And I won't mention the endless summers he spent there as a child too. All of us grandkids spent time on the farm with Grandma and Grandpa growing up, and I have some really nice memories there too. When I take the boys to Yakima, they want to spend most of thier time at the farm, it's a boys paradise truthfully, full of old things (that thier Great-great-grandparents used to use). This was the first time I went there and was "armed" with a camera.

This looks like an old barn, but inside, it's a Shop. Full of old tools & stuff. Grandpa used to fix his trucks, cars, and his tractors inside of there. He spent alot of time in there.
This is the old John Deere tractor. Sam learned to drive it when he was 9 years old I think, maybe younger. Grandpa rigged some wood blocks on the pedals so Sam could drive it, back it up, etc. I was shocked the first time I saw him drive it.
The Chicken Coop. My Great-grandpa built this, and grandpa used it too. He had it full of chickens. Sam does not like chickens to this day....I won't get into it. But he puts up a really good arguement about it.

I'm not sure what this wagon thing is. My Great-grandpa had a team of Belgian Work Horses-or now they are called Belgian Draft Horses, they are smaller than Clydesdales (are you shocked I know this?) I have pictures of my Great-grandpa with his horses, pulling some wagons. I'll have to dig them out and scan them. *****CORRECTION**** This is an old Manure Spreader. My Dad let me know via Facebook this morning. Thanks Dad!

Another old wagon. I know, that my Grandpa donated an old wagon thing to the Yakima Musuem a long time ago, and I'm not sure if it's still there. But this wagon-is just a wagon. Mac likes to go to the Farm and ask me questions about my family. He loves old stuff, he loves to learn about things people used in the past. There is an old wood cookstove in the house, that is hooked up, that my Great-grandmother used to use. She NEVER used an electric one. Mac is dying to fire it up one winter to see if we can cook on it.
It had been YEARS since I had been to Yakima right before Apple Harvest time. Mason had never seen all of the apple trees full of apples as we were driving by on the back roads. My Grandparents didn't grow apples on the Farm, these are just some apples from a random orchard. I took seeing these for granted when I was growing up.

I couldn't pass this one up...my nieces Morgan and little Gracie. They are so cute! Gracie has my brother (her dad) wrapped around her little pinky. It's funny to watch him with her.

I couldn't pass this one up either. This was taken in our back yard just before we left for Yakima. We were roasting marshmellows in the Fire Pit.

No comments: